Thursday, October 19, 2006

3:37pm - Eric is resting comfortably right now. He's back on the ventilator and his vitals are good. He had his eyes open earlier and was able to squeeze my hand with his left hand. The doctors say that is a reflex. We have asked to meet with all the doctors together to see if they can all agree on the same prognosis. Hopefully we will meet with them tomorrow.

His aunt Betty had to return to California this afternoon and his sister Angela will not be returning to Iraq and will return to Florida after her leave.

9:24am - Eric had a bad day yesterday and was moved back to intensive care last night. The doctor first thought that a clot had worked its way to his lungs but after looking at the CT scan he said no that was not the case. His white blood cells are elevated (about 3 times what they use to be) which means his infection (somewhere) is getting worse. He was coughing all day and getting stuff out of his lungs.

He opened his eyes many times yesterday and I looked into his eyes and talked to him. At times, he seemed to want to talk and moved his mouth, at other times, he just blinked. I know he was in pain and when I found out that they had reduced his pain medication to almost nothing, I asked for them to give him more.

The hardest part is knowing what the truth is. The doctors can only treat what they know and with Eric's brain injuries, they just can't do anything becasue it's too deep in his brain that in order to get there, they would have to remove too much of the good parts and risk damaging more.

It's not our intention to have Eric survive in a vegitative state or living a life that requires 24 by 7 assistance. All we are trying to do is give Eric the chance to heal enough to be evaluated properly so we know what his condition really is and if by chance or miracle he can be saved then we need to give him that oppurtunity.

In reply to one of the comments posted yesterday, I have the following reply: I know that all of Eric's friends are hurting as well and especially the ones that have had the chance to see him in the hospital. All I can say to you is have faith in Eric and God and know that his mother and I will do what is best for Eric. Don't judge our actions or intentions. We raised this young man to be the friend, brother, and son he is now and we know what is best for Eric.

I'm sorry to have to give such sad news after raising everyone's hopes and spirit but, you need to know the truth as many of you care and love Eric in your own way. Believe me, that last night we (his family) were crushed by some of the changes and prognosis.

Thank you all for your prayers and support.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with Eric, Danyale and their families and friends. I am a friend of Danyale from Rossville. I do not know Eric or his family, but what parent would not do what is best for their child. Unless you are put in this terrible situation you cannot speculate on what you would or should do. I commend the decisions that you guys(eric's parents) are making on behalf of your son. God will let you know what to do. Some people should keep their hurtful opinons to themselves. I'm sorry for the pain for everyone involved.

Anonymous said...

Prayers and daily thoughts are with you. We are pulling for all of you every day. I trust that God will help Eric, Sam, and Celeste to make the decisions that need to be made. Sam and Celeste you are Eric's voice, but Eric will continue to fight. Keep your heads held high and lets keep praying for the best. You two know your son better than anyone else and you also know the strength that he has as a person. He will fight as long as he can!! I continue to pray for all daily.

Aut said...

Just checking in to say Im sorry things went down hill. Hopefully the doctors can figure out whats going on and where the infection is. Drew and I continue to think of you all, all the time, as do Ang's friends here in Hampton. Please know your in our thoughts and hearts. Love Autumn

Trent Aldrich said...

Sam and Celeste
I have been friends with Eric for almost 20 years. I thank of all the good times playing backyard football and riding bikes around the neighborhood when we were little. I want you to know that nobody has the right to question your decision. None of Eric's friends have been in the situation you are in right now so no one has the right to judge you. Only Eric and God knows what the out come is going to be all we can do it support him and you all in these trying times. What ever the out come is I know you have his best intereset at heart. He is strong. I am praying and crying for Eric everyday, he is like a brother to me. Trent Aldrich

Jennifer said...

I agree with Trent, I continue to pray with everyone and keep my hopes high. If you need anything, please email me.

Jennifer_Dalie3@sbcglobal.net

Anonymous said...

Hi my name is Daniel im a good friend of Eric's. I pray for him to get better, when I read that he opened his eyes I was so happy for him he's on his way to recovery. There's a long road ahead for him but I know he will make it, I lost my mom in a car accident I didnt have the chance to fix her she died on the scene, but if I had the chance to save her I would. Now that I'm a parent I see where Sam is hanging on to everything he has. So stay strong! PEOPLE WITH NEGATIVE COMMENTS PLEASE DO NOT PUT THEM IN HERE THIS IS TO HELP ERIC WITH HIS RECOVERY! PRAY FOR HIM INSTEAD!!!

Anonymous said...

Sam and family--Eric is in God's hands and He is looking after you. We continue to pray and think of Eric everyday. We go to the computer several times a day to check on Eric. He seems part of our family and we have never met him.
Keep Your Faith,
The Powells

Anonymous said...

Sam,
I am SO sorry for you and your family. I wish I had known sooner. My heart goes out to you. I'm praying for you and for Eric to find the strength to get through this. It was good to see you last night, despite the circumstances. Alot of us miss you at Amdocs.
Please, please, please, stay strong and keep your faith in the days ahead. IF you need anything, please let me know. I' just a phone call away. Deb