Sunday, October 08, 2006

9:30pm - I cannot and will not give up on my son right now. I know Eric will not want to live his life with machines breathing for him however; we have not come to that point yet. They have not fixed his body yet. They do not know for certain what the level of damage to his brain is. Eric is young, strong and is a fighter. He loves life and we need to do everything we can to give him that chance. I have asked for a conference / consultation call with another neuro-surgeon that I trust completely (Donna's doctor). Additionally, I will not take NO for an answer regarding the surgery to fix his broken body. If I have to, I will move him to another hospital that is willing to perform the required surgeries.

5pm - Danielle's surgery went well. The doctors were able to put the broken parts back together and installed a metal cage around them. Our hopes and prayers continue for Danielle's recovery. Hopefully, tonight they will take her out of intensive care and back to her room.

4pm - Talked to Eric's neuro-surgeon, he indicated that Eric's best case would be paralysis to his left side and loss of short term memory. He could not say for certain what level of loss or paralysis may in fact occur. He also indicated that the reason for his pressure spiking higher is due to his injuries. I asked that they fix his arm, leg and jaw before completely taking him out of his sedative before trying to bring him to consciousness.

2pm - another gloom and doom doctor who is an internist and not a neuro-surgeon gave us another talk about how we need to decide about what to do with Eric. She said that his sedative is at 30% and he is not responding to any tests. She believed that the damage to his brain is too severe and that he would most likely require assisted care.

4:53am - When I came in to visit Eric at 3:30 this morning, the nurse said that Eric coughed as a result of her moving his air tube (this is a good sign). Eric is currently trying to rest however; the nurses are changing all his lines. Eric continues to have his pressure hold around the 20 mark unless the nurses move him then it spikes high but comes right back down. Earlier, Eric had a bowl movement which enabled the doctors to open his feeding tube and introduce semi-solid food to his digestive system (this is good). Eric's is still at 50% sedative. Each time they try to take him lower, his pressure goes back up. Late last night, some of his visitors noticed movement in his left arm (I'm trying to get that confirmed by the nursing staff).

3 comments:

katie said...

Everynight before I go to bed and everyday when I wake up I say a prayer. I pray for God to take some of everyone's strength. I want Him to give all that strength to Eric and Danyale. They need it more than any of us do. I have real faith that these two are going to make it out of this knowing it as just a memory. They'll be back with us sooner than we think...If the families need anything at all please do not hesitate to ask..Katie Meeker...2173046631...www.myspace.com/katandbri

Steph in Danville said...

Eric's Mom -

I am the mother of a severely disabled 2 year old boy. I was told by his neuro that he would be in a persistant vegitative state the rest of his life. YOU know your child more than anybody else. My little boy is starting to talk and we are working on crawling and standing now.

There will be some rough days ahead for all of you. Be sure to take care of yourselves, so that you can be in the best shape to make decisions for your son. If you are not happy with your treatment, do not hesitate to ask that he be transferred (Peoria, St. Francis, has an excellent adult neuro unit)

We will keep all of you in our prayers. Please feel free to visit our website (www.carepages.com Our carepage name is OurLittleMan)

or e-mail me with any questions or to vent. :) (StephiLou273@aol.Com)

Again, take care of yourselves and we will keep you in our prayers!

God Bless
Stephanie in Danville

Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to each of you during this difficult time...this time of uncertainty, this time of putting your faith to the test. My prayer for each of you is that you will be reminded that God's promises are true...He is near to the broken hearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. His name is a strong tower and the righteous run into it and they are safe. That when our minds are in doubt and our hearts in turmoil, He quiets us and gives us renewed hope and cheer. I stand with asking God to do exceedingly far above all we can ask or think possible and that He would speak to the most injured places in Eric and say "live again."

Eileen-Cedar Rapids