Tuesday, October 24, 2006

7:24pm - I just want everyone to know that Eric is not in pain. The nurses and doctors monitor his vitals and when they see a change, they administer additional pain medication to keep him comfortable (they have not had to do that often). The injuries to his body(leg, arm, face, kidney, liver) are healing well. The staples have been removed from his arm and leg. Additionally, the swelling in his face is gone. Eric is loosing muscle mass (in his arms and legs) but, we started working on improving that with physical therapy.

When he opens his eyes, and I look into them, I know that Eric is going to be OK. I can't give up on my son right now as it's only been 23 days and to me, every day is a gift from God and every little change is another hope and prayer answered. The doctors might not agree with the improvements I see but that's OK with me. I know that Eric is a fighter and I know that he has not given up yet. I will continue to fight for him. If and when the time comes to let him go, I will know it. This is not the time and he needs all his family and friends to believe in him and help him fight with a constant positive attitude and prayers. He needs to be surrounded by positive influence.

3:54pm - No Change. Eric's vitals are good. Physical therapist worked with him again today and he seemed to respond to tickling his left heal and tracking the movement of a coke can with his left eye. This is all good but it's not enough. Eric needs to show more awareness of his surrounding and be more reactive. We will keep working with him. Eric is scheduled to have another CT scan tomorrow morning to determine if any injury to his neck still exist. If his neck is OK, then more aggressive therapy can be applied (sitting him up, moving his body more, turning him more...). "Miracle wanted and needed" - please keep the prayers going.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes no change is good. Give him time to heal. Our bodies were made to heal themselves with a little help from God and a few of his "helpers" (the doctors). I hope you are keeping you spirits up and staying rested and healthy. I do not know your family or Eric but i have been keeping up with his progress daily via this site. I think what you are doing is remarkable and I challenge anyone who has not been in your shoes to doubt anything you are doing. As a parent it is our responsiblity to do everything in our power to help our children. God Bless You and your family!

Anonymous said...

Sam,

Just wanted you to know that Jerry and I are both praying for Eric and your family. I hope you are taking care of yourself Sam because otherwise you will be use to Eric. Sam, it is obvious to us that all those negative comments you are receiving are coming from people who are not parents otherwise they would not be making them. Just IGNORE them Sam. You have to stay positive. Neither Eric or you need any negativity in your hearts or minds at this time. We continue to pray daily and remember that God really does make miracles happen. Thanks for keeping us updated by this blog because even though we do not know Eric we are extremely concerned for you and your family. Keep your faith Sam as God does work in misterious ways. Jane and Jerry Jeffries

Anonymous said...

I am a parent and I feel that it is my responsibility to do anything I have to do to protect my daughter. From the people I have spoken to, I am hearing that you have been told that Eric does not have any chance of a normal life. He is in constant pain and is not aware of any of his surroundings. What is the purpose of his being kept on this earth other than to spare yourself the agony of totally losing him? I'm sorry, but you lost Eric on October 1st when he was in the accident. He can't eat, communicate or even do the most basic of human functions. Why not allow him to go to another place where he will not be imprisoned in this body that doesn't work anymore? Sometimes we have to let someone go so that they can go somewhere that there is no pain and they have a body that is not broken. It would be the hardest thing in the world, but I would do this for my daughter because as a parent it is our responsibility to protect our children from pain at all costs to ourselves.

Jeanne said...

I am so tired of reading all the anonymous posts from people who are condemning Sam. They are afraid to leave their names, but they continue to judge Sam and berate his decisions. Have they talked to the doctors, been in the room with Eric, are they doctors, have they had a child in a similar situation? How do they know what is best for Eric? Don't they think that Eric's welfare is Sam's highest priority? Sam needs our support, not the constant judging and putting him down. Don't they think he has enough to deal with right now?

I learned when I was a child that if I didn't have anything positive to say that I should keep my mouth shut. I think that pertains here.

Let's support Sam and his family. Let them know that we care for them, and keep them in our prayers. Pray for peace for them and help them make the right decisions.

Jeanne (Donna's sister)

Lam said...

To all who leave the negative comments,
I am Sam's sister. I am begging you, if you can't share support, good wishes or prayers, then don't leave your comments. Unless, you have had a child IN this situation, then you can't imagine what he is going through. I live in California, I check the blog a dozen times a day for updates on Eric's condition. I read the comments each time. The majority are wonderful and supportive. The others are useless, unkind and not needed. Please, remember that Sam and the family are struggling right now. The last thing they need is everyone's opinion on what they should do. This is not a debate on, "what to do with Eric".This is about a precious young man who's life is in limbo and the family that loves him more than anything!!
I have kept quite for days now, but after the last email before Jeanne's, I couldn't stand it anymore. Sam is my older brother and I love him very much. His kids mean the world to him. This situation is killing him. Please, please be kind and pray for Eric, Sam, Celeste and Angela.
Thank you,
Lam

Unknown said...

Hello Sam. Just got word through Champaign about Eric's accident and wanted you to know he is in our prayers here in New England. My heart goes out to you and yours, and especially Eric who is fighting the good fight. We'll be following the good news as you keep us informed. Thanks.

Mark V.