Monday, October 09, 2006

10:52pm - Around 9pm, the doctor called and said he wants to talk about the results from the CT scan he just completed. The doctor said that Eric's brain injury is still critical and that the expected results have not been seen. He said that the extent of the injury is still life threatening and that the damage is such that if he gets through this, it might not be the quality of life he would want (basically, vegetative state). He said we should talk about if this is the type of life Eric should have. Don't they understand that what they are asking me us is to give up and say let him go? I can't do that. I told him that I want a second opinion tomorrow morning and a third later in the afternoon. Additionally, I want to have an MRI completed (which will require the monitor to be removed) once Eric has been stable for at least 24 hours. I'm not sure where to go from here. My hopes are still strong and my prayers are plentiful. It's difficult to maintain a positive attitude with so much negative feelings around.

We need a miracle. Merciful lord, we pray to you to save your son Eric, bring him back to us as we know him. We need Eric in our life. Amen.

5:10pm - Eric's pressure went up to over 70 (extremely high) just before the consultation. The doctor put him back on sedation. Eric also has a temperature as well and they are doing all they can to lower it. According to the doctor, Eric's white cell blood count is high which signifies the possibility of infection. They think it might be a blood clot on his left side and they are looking into it. We truly believe as well as this doctor that the reason for the high pressure is that Eric might be feeling pain, fear, anxiety, injuries... Remember that the last thing Eric remembers is the accident (hitting the car).

Right now his pressure is back around 24 as the sedative and the 8% solution are starting to work. I have asked the doctors that the plan needs to be (1) stabilize Eric's pressure; (2) ensure that the infection or clot is treated; (3) prepare Eric for surgery for his leg, arm and jaws; (4) remove the brain monitor and do an MRI; (5) if required, put the monitor back in another place; (5) after a few days, ensure Eric's pressure is stable, remove the sedation and re-evaluate his capabilities to react to the various tests.

The problems that we are facing is the longer Eric is in the intensive care unit the higher the risk of infection through all the tubes they have in him; the brain monitor (should not be in the same place more than 7-8 days); all his cuts and injuries. In order for doctors to do the surgery, his pressure needs to be stable around 20 and NO infection. As you can see, the longer this goes on, we get into a catch 22 situation.

3pm - Eric is completely off the sedatives. His pressure is higher between 22-37. They are giving him pain medication but I know in my heart that he has to be feeling the pain of his injuries. Each time I see him I make the sign of the cross on his forehead with the holy water, today, when I made the sign of the cross and touched him, his head moved left and right. As we talk to him, his pressure seems to go lower. I know he's fighting and trying to get back to us.

The doctors are evaluating him right now and said that they would talk with us at 4pm. I will try to get another update afterwards.

His friends from Danville are here now and they have been doing so much. They are really amazing and the influence that Eric has had on each of them. They are in the process of arranging a blood drive. To all of you, THANK YOU. I'm deeply touched and I know his mother is as well and we will always remember all of you and the wonderful support you have and continue to provide.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

THANK YOU GOD

Anonymous said...

You guys haven't heard too much from me, his sister obviously... but my family really appreciates everyone's thoughts and prayers. It reminds us that their are good, kind, caring people out there and thank god they have all gravitated around my brother. He is such an amazing person. NO matter whether he is my fathers son or my mothers son or just my brother, he is a great brother, son, friend, boyfriend, worker and anything else he had ever set his mind to. It means so much to me that while my family is away and while i am deployed i know that he has people who love him and watch over him in my absence. Please continue to pray for him. I think he hears the prayers and I think that when he's ready he will come back to us. Please take care of each other. We love you all and appreciate everything. Be good to each other and take care of one another, we never know when life might hand us a curve ball.

Shelley H said...

To Eric’s family: My parents and I have gotten to know Eric and become very fond of him over the last year or so. We go to Red Lobster almost every Sunday after church and we always ask for him to be our server. He's told us about his family so we know how much you all mean to him. We stopped by the hospital this morning (10/9) but there were no family members in the 7th floor ICU waiting rooms. After we left, my mother became a little emotional. That’s because tomorrow is my brother's birthday. He would have been 47 but he died at age 20 in a car accident. Knowing what your family must be going through just brought back so many memories and emotions for my mother. She and my whole family pray your family doesn’t have to deal with the same kind of loss we did. Faith, family, and friends are what will see you through these tough times, whatever God’s plan is for Eric. We will continue to pray for Eric and you.

Traci Collins said...

Hi Sam.. I am one of Angee's friends.. I have actually met you a few years back.. I just wanted to let you and your family know that I am praying for Eric, his girlfriend and everyone in your family.. I know it must be very difficult for all of you and if there is ANY thing I can do please please do let me know..

Eric's Uncle said...

Thank you to everyone who is reaching out to Eric during this trial. We appreciate so much you being the hands and feet of Christ for Eric and his family. We are praying continually and with confidence that God is an awesome God who created the heavens and the universe and knows Eric better than any of us. Be confident in God.

marc franz said...

Sam and Donna Vicky and I are so sorry to here about the accident.
We have got the family together and have Asked God for his healing power to be put into full force and that he will give you all peace and comfort. If there is anything that i can do please let me know i will fly out to be with you if you need me there Sam . Just let me know.

With all our love and Prayers Marc and Vicky FRanz

Megan B. said...

I do not personally know your family, I Just wanted to let the family and friends of Eric and Danielle know that you are all in my thoughts and prayers. May god give all of you strength and I am praying for the miracle to help pull Eric through this.

Tracie said...

Hi I watched your family on WCIA and have been following the blog ever since. I am praying for your family and for Danielles. I am not sure if you have met with a Dr. Bremer yet but he is a very good nuerologist at Carle. I had the opportunity to meet with him when my father had a stroke. You should be able to get several opinoins at Carle they have at least 8 neurologists or neuro surgeons on staff. And never give up hope! It is you right to get every opinion you would like do not let them tell you otherwise! I will continue to pray for Eric and Danielle as well as the rest of the family! Stay strong and remember you must also rest and keep up your health so you can continue to help Eric fight for his.
God Bless

Jeffrey-t- said...

All of Eric's friends, family of friends, and people who know of this accident, are praying for Eric every day. I personaly am praying for Eric all of the time. He has been one of my best friends since the first grade, and will be one of my best friends for life. I keep hope that Eric will survive this, but at the same time cherish the many wonderful memories that I have been fortunate enough to share with him through my lifetime. Eric and I always made it a point to keep in touch, even though we lived in different states. He's a very loyal and wonderful friend to have. I feel almost empty inside like this can't be really happening to one of the nicest people I know. In this life or the next, I would do anything to be able to hang out with my buddy one more time. I pray that wish comes true. May god watch over and heal all of you as you wait at the hostpital with Eric. Many thoughts and prayers with you. Jeff Patton

Lam said...

Dear Sam, Celeste, Donna and Angel,
I have added Eric's name to every prayer list I could find. I asked the Cardinal of Texas to pray for him also. He is the only Cardinal I could find that had a website. Evo, Lexi and I say the Rosary for him each night. Our thoughts are with you each day and night. I found this prayer that I have been saying for him:
Dear Jesus, Divine Physician and Healer of the sick, we turn to you in this time of illness. O dearest comforter of the troubled, alleviate our worry and sorrow with your gentle love, and grant us the grace and strenth to accept this burden. Dear God, we place our worries in your hands. We place our sick under your care and humbly ask that you restore your servant to health again. Above all, grant us the grace to ackowledge your will and know that whatever you do, you do for the love of us. Amen.
God bless you all,
Love, Lam

LFlack said...

Once again we prayed for Eric and Danielle at school today and at church tonight. God hears our prayers. Our God is good!!!