Friday, October 13, 2006

9:33pm - The surgeon just came out and said that Eric's surgery went well and Eric did great. His pressure was good throughout and his vitals continue to be stable. Over 11 and a half hours of surgery. The doctor said that Eric will require six weeks of healing and will have a certain amount of brusising and sweling in his face for part of the time.

Eric is on his way to get a CT scan per instructions from his neuro-surgeon then he will go back to the intensive care unit for recovery and monitoring.

Thank you God and thank you all for your prayers. His body is now on the way to recovery and all our hopes are that his brain will be also. Hope & Faith is all we have and we have to keep it going.

7:53pm - Eric is still in surgery. at 5:30pm, the facial surgeon said that he needs another 3.5 hours to complete. According to the surgeons, Eric is still holding up. Eric's has been in surgery for 10 hours now. This is draining on the whole family but we're keeping each other strong. Eric's aunt Betty arrived yesterday and has done wonders pulling the entire family together and keeping our spirit high.

1:57pm - The orthopedic doctor just came out and said that they have finished with Eric's arm and leg. He said the arm went well. The leg was put back together as well as can be given all the damage. They have added titanium plates and bolts to both his arm and leg fractures. His leg might require additional surgeries at a later time. The facial doctors are preparing to begin working on Eric's face injuries. This might take 4 hours give or take some. Eric's vitals are still OK.

9:07am - After an hour discussion with the doctors last night, Eric's family asked the doctors to aggressively pursue the surgeries required to heal Eric's body.

This morning the doctor's have scheduled Eric for surgery beginning at 10am (CST). The doctors will attempt to fix Eric's arm, leg, face and put in a tracheotomy and a feeding tube in his stomach. This will be a long day for Eric in the operating room so please keep your prayers strong as I know you all have.

Danyale's recovery is going well. She is still in pain but anxious to get out of bed. The doctors were very exited about how well her surgery went. Danyale will require another operation to put in two metal posts to keep her back strong while her bones heal and fuse to the metal cage they placed around her spine. I'm not sure when the next surgery is scheduled but will keep you updated.

5 comments:

kathy said...

I wanted you to know that there are many people in Minnesota praying for Eric, and for all of you. I know God hears the many prayers that I have read on this blog, and all the prayers constantly going up on behalf of Eric and your family. He is with Eric today during his surgeries, and He is with all of you!
With much love, prayer and concern,
Kathy Doran (Betty's friend)

Jeanne said...

My prayers are with you, your family, and Eric as he goes through the surgeries today. It will be a long day for your family. As Dawn said about her surgeries, it felt that she just went to sleep and woke up a couple of minutes later. It isn't that way for the families! I am glad that he is finally being operated on.

Try to be strong for Eric and the other members of your family. I know that is hard to do - everything seems so unfair right now. Everyone kept telling me to be strong for Dawn, but I didn't feel strong and I didn't want to be strong. I was mad that cancer happened to her - it isn't supposed to happen to YOUR child. I am sure you share some of those same feelings.

Prayer helps as does the kindness and support of family, friends, and others you don't even know. People all over are praying for Eric and for your family. May God bless you and your family.

Jeanne (Donna's sister)

Jennifer said...

I just heard from Trent Aldrich about Eric's accident. My thoughts and prayers are with Eric and Danielle and all of their family and friends. Eric and I attended elementary, middle and High School together. He's a sweet person and a fighter. I'm so glad I was able to find this information and I'm going to keep up with the blog and read about his progress. I've let alot of people who went to KR with Eric know about his accident. The more encouragment and thoughts and prayers, the more that miracle will come into play. Keep your faith strong.

Jennifer ( Biggert) Dalie
class of 99

LindseyICURN said...

Hello Sam (and the rest of Eric's family),

I went to KR with Eric. I graduated in 1999 as well. Wow...i can't believe this has happened. How terrible! I guess i just wanted to see how things were going (i've read through all the blogs posted). My thoughts and prayers are with you all and Eric and Danielle at this time.

Also, I am an RN at Miami Valley Hospital. I work in the ICU there...MVH is a Level 1 trauma center so we deal with a lot of this kind of stuff every day. We have had several motorcycle accidents this summer alone... so we do the whole bolt/Licox thing (aka that pressure monitor in Eric's head), and i've seen a lot of these kinds of injuries. What specific things are going on in Eric's brain? (Do you know where the bleeds are, etc). Just wondering...Please, let me know if there is ANYTHING i can do for you. If there are even just any questions you need answered...i just wanted to let you know i have some experience working with injuries such as Eric's.

As far as those doctor "doom"'s out there... sometimes doctor's see things in black and white. They see "poor prognosis" or "good prognosis"...the nurses tend to see things in this gray area in between. I have seen people with very minor head injuries not make it...and on the flip side, Just 2 weeks ago, i took care of a patient with such extensive head injuries (he fell off a ladder and hit his head on a metal table) that no one thought he would live. He is now in Rehab, talking and learning to get around again. The brain is an amazing organ, and one that we don't fully understand (even WITH our advances in modern medicine). Every person with a brain injury reacts differently...and they heal differently too. Don't give up hope...despite what some of the doctors are saying, i have seen miracles happen in my daily work environment.

I haven't seen Eric in several years, we always had fun in high school...he's a great guy, and i miss him teasing me! My prayers are with you all...

Love and God Bless,

Lindsey Poling

littlelindz4@yahoo.com

Traci Collins said...

Sam, Angee and Celeste... I am very glad to hear that Eric's surgeries went well.. The power of all the prayers being said for him on a daily basis are paying off. I will continue to pray for his recovery and keep you (his family) in my prayers as well.. Ang, I miss ya and if you need anything let me know.
Traci!